Sunday 10 February 2013

Progress and a win

Here is the latest progress with three projects....has been a little slow as I have been working full time for a couple to weeks to relieve at work - always seems to mean less sewing time :(

Baltimore Album block 17 with it's funny little bug in the middle:


Mary Leggett's Star Bouquet: some more stars and hexagons and it is getting slowly bigger: 


Here is a collage of some of the new stars in the quilt:

Had fun cutting and piecing here


And lastly ...some domestic machine quilting progress on Lucy Boston Patchwork of the Crosses:

 

Looking nice and puffy because so far I have only outlined in the ditch around hexagons and squares - not across any of them.

Close up to show the quilting 

Closer still...
Because all the piecing was by hand - every little square and hexagon English Paper pieced together - I think it is important not to lose sight of all those little pieces by machine quilting all over it. So I am tempted just to outline, and keep it looking "hand made" rather than "machine made".

On the other hand I think it might be nice to make the coloured blocks stand out from the cream background. So I have been deliberating whether to stipple quilt in all the cream   ( I quite like stippling but there will be a lot of it!)

The original quilt was just a coverlet of course...not quilted at all. 
                   Hmmm .... any thoughts?

And now for the "win"
I've had the amazing good luck to have won a quilt kit from Sue at I Sew Quilts blog. Such a generous giveaway  - many, many thanks to Sue and her gorgeous (and highly talented I might add) granddaughter Abigail. And it is not just any kit, but one in a line of fabric that I have loved for ages - Froncie Quinn's "In the Time of Toile".

Picture from Sue's blog post giveaway

I'm really looking forward to making this quilt - and especially looking forward to the centre basket - looks like  broderie perse flowers ! 
Will keep you posted (hoping desperately I don't make a mess of it ) and many thanks again Sue :)







12 comments:

  1. Congrats on your win! Looks like your making progress despite working more. I wouldn't have noticed the bug on the album block if you hadn't mention it. Love those kinds of details. The star bouquet is coming along nicely. That and the Lucy Boston really show off your fabulous fabrics. Love the fussy cutting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All your work is so beautiful! I really love your stars! Congratulations on winning that fantastic prize. You'll do a wonderful job of bringing it to life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such beautiful projects! I have loved Lucy Boston's work ever eince reading about it in a magazine. What a remarkable needleworker. Your quilt is a lovely homage. I like the idea of background quilting to feature the crosses. Fabulous piecing in your stars! I wouldn't attempt a Baltimore so I'm going to enjoy watching yours evolve. What a fantastic win! You have some beautiful fabrics to play with there. Thanks again for your lovely comment on my blog - ann :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great projects. I especially love your Patchwork of the Crosses and agree with your idea on quilting it. It is just fabulous. And, what a fantastic win! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on your win I look forward to seeing how this progresses, especially the broderie perse. If the Patchwork of the Crosses were mine I would keep the quilting simple, but that's just my opinion. Great to hear the progress on all of your lovely projects.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on your win!!!
    Beautiful fussy cutting in your Patchwork of the Crosses quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely baltimore block - I like the bug! Your puffy quilt looks lovely, very inviting to snuggle up under. Congratulations on winning that lovely fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on your win - very pretty quilt and fabrics. Love all your fussy cutting.
    My preference for quiilting is trditional - so I would consider something like triple line through the cream and outline the prints. It is all about the fabrics ;-)
    Beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've got all kinds of wonderful projects going. It is nice to have them at different stages so as not to get bored:) Congrats on the win!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I saw that you won! A perfect pattern for you! I love love your star quilt. Your hand piecing is so perfect. Is it English paper piecing or just hand piecing?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the Baltimore block with the bug. Years ago, I made a flower wall hanging and added a dimensional worm. It was made with a tube of fabric that was gathered to look like a caterpillar. and heavier thread for the antennae.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I actually had goosebumps when I saw the fabrics you used in the blocks of Lucy Boston Patchwork of the Crosses! Keep up the great work!!

    ReplyDelete