I'm almost done with the hand quilting around every. single. piece. of. applique. on this Civil War Bride. It really should be a winter project but we've had some opportune cooler days, and there is the pressure of quilts getting very impatient in the quilting queue.I'm so glad each block is different as it keeps it interesting.
Assessing the quilt top for the next step in the quilting - there are a lot of irregular, odd shaped background spaces between the applique. They are a bit bumpy and flappy and, in my humble opinion, need some quilting discipline. But the trick with irregular spaces - what pattern to use?
Have a look at a few blocks - they fill the background very differently. This one fills the background almost fully...
Biggish spaces in this one...
I'm afraid it might make a 'dog's breakfast' of it with various sized quilting motifs. Ideas?
- maybe some grid quilting or parallel lines - always looks good and gives uniformity across the background
- maybe echo quilting - I loved it on my Auntie Green but my feeling is it doesn't suit this one
- maybe some little crosses stippled - looks great in big stitch quilting but not sure here - might give it a try just to see...
Indigo Circles (my Quilty 365 sewalong project) - after feeling deplorably behind on this project, I am now quite well on target, having prepped up a storm. It's been fun experimenting on ways to be more efficient with the blocks. I tried out a Youtube method using foil to iron fabric around templates.
I know one or two other Quilty participant have also discovered this method.
I was originally using back basting prepared needleturn for my circles - no problem with that but I just thought this might speed up the needleturn.
Circles do need careful needleturn to avoid those pesky unwanted points. I'm not sure this method has made my circles any more accurate but it is quicker!
Here are the latest 21 blocks. That makes a total of 37 so far.
I've decided to stitch my 2" blocks into four-patch blocks as I go, and mix them among the 4 " blocks on point - something like this picture.
Another little efficiency measure has been the use of my 4 1/2 " square ruler - to square up and size my finished blocks. I was thrilled to find it is just the right size and invaluable in checking the piecing of those four-patches.
So there we are - every new project brings a little more learning ... or some useful revision! I am sure there must be others like me - I even forget what I have forgotten...sigh.